Saturday, November 13, 2010

Mnemonic Device: Parts of Speech

Totally copied this from PW's site today.  My particular brand of filing doesn't to mesh well with me, so I'm gonna try blog filing.

A NOUN’S the name of any thing;
As school or garden, hoop, or swing.

ADJECTIVES tell the kind of noun;
As great, small, pretty, white, or brown.

Three small words we often see
Are ARTICLES - a, an, and the.

In place of nouns the PRONOUNS stand;
John’s head, his face, my arm, your hand.

VERBS tell of something being done;
As read, write, spell, sing, jump, or run.

How things are done the ADVERBS tell;
As slowly, quickly, ill, or well.

They also tell us where and when;
As here, and there, and now, and then.

A PREPOSITION stands before
A NOUN; as in or through a door.

CONJUNCTIONS sentences unite;
As kittens scratch and puppies bite.

The INTERJECTION cries out “Hark!
I need an exclamation mark!”

A little disclaimer from one of her readers:

Wait, wait! Part of that is wrong! Pronouns truly take the place of a noun: I, you, he, she, they, it.
His, her, its–they can’t stand in place of nouns; they describe noun. That makes them possessive adjectives.

John goes for a walk.
He goes for a walk.
*His goes for a walk.

Here's a little quiz for my kiddos.

Deze cat doesn't go for a walk.
Deze cat goes for a lengthy scratch.
Dat scratch makes me miss Scratch!
1)  Name the interjection.
2)  What part of speech is the word "lengthy".  (I'll give ya a tootsie roll for this, 'cause it's a little confusing to me!)  :)
3)  What languages do you think I think I'm speaking?  Is it a real language?  What language?
4) One a scale of 1-10, how crazy do you think I am?  :-)
5)  Write a decent poem for this picture, would ya?!
6)  Thank ya kindly.
7) Yeah, these last two don't really count, but if you do 'em I'll let you rub my feet.  :)

I'm nice like that.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena